So it’s obvious that going to the gym is crucial to achieving your fitness goals. But, a component that most of us forget is our mental strength. Our mental strength and its capacity, could ultimately help us move from “average” to “great”, just by tweaking a few of the ways we think and internalize events. We can use a few tricks to improve our athletic performance, even when we aren’t at the gym!
You can easily improve your athletic performance, by focusing on 5 areas of your mental game:
- Goal Setting
- Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone
- Eliminate Excuses
- Develop Your “True Voice”
- Visualize who you want to become. Go a month, a year, 5 years, 10 years and 20 years into the future and visualize the person you want to become. Use your imagination. We are the only animal in existence that has the power of an imagination. Foster it, utilize it and make it work to your advantage.
- Go into your future every single day. We have to see ourselves where we want to go before we ever make it happen. If you can’t see where you’re going, how will you get there? Take time daily, even just five minutes, to visualize your future. Keep pressing, keep pushing and one day, you will get to where you want to go.
GOAL SETTING –
There are short term goals and there are long term goals. Short term goals assist us by providing shorter time frames and comparison points to determine our progress. Our long term goals are incredibly important as well, but there is always a journey behind every long term success, which is built on the confidence that short term goal setting and achieving brings.
GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE –
You need to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Growth does not happen unless you are challenged. There is an old saying “what doesn’t challenge you, doesn’t change you”. And that is a 100% fact. You can observe any successful athlete, business person, or executive and you can almost bet that they have gone outside what is deemed “comfortable” to find their success. This includes putting your ego aside and committing to your goal at all costs.
ELIMINATE EXCUSES –
As many reasons as there are to quit something, there are just as many to KEEP GOING. You can either adapt to a situation, find out how to change it, or how to cope, or you can make excuses and never reach your goals or your potential. By taking control of your environment and surroundings, you will feel unstoppable.
DEVELOP YOUR “TRUE VOICE” –
This simply means to eliminate self talk. Now, that’s obviously way easier said than done, but with practice you can eliminate self talk, stand up to the critical voice in you and develop the “true voice” that is supportive of your own goals. Often our failures are at our own hands, and we are our own worst enemies.
ELIMINATE NEGATIVE SELF TALK BY:
- Start by becoming aware of the negative self-talk. When you have doubt and negativity come into your head, being aware that it is happening. Recognition of the problem is step one in defeating it.
- Differentiate between yourself and the self-critic. Believe it or not, the critic is not you. The critic comes from your experiences, societal expectations, pressure you feel from others and previous external criticisms you’ve received from others. All of those are learned criticisms that aren’t really you. Recognize the difference between them.
- Stand up to the inner critical bully. Refuse to listen to it. Tell it you don’t believe it. Once you’re to the point where you no longer listen to that bully, the opportunities in front of you just became endless.
- The last piece is to work on removing the critical voice permanently and allowing your true voice to take over. This true voice is full of optimism and confidence. As you learn to become one with yourself, you’ll notice how things just fall in place much easier than they used to. When we truly believe something about ourselves, our environment has a tendency to start to match what we believe.
It can not be emphasized enough, but when you truly believe in yourself and your capabilities, and realize that others’ opinions have literally no impact on your goals and their success, you will be UNFUCKWITHABLE.
Own your life, you deserve it!